Sheikh Zayed Rd
+971 4 393 9029 Sat - Thu 10:00 - 19:00
+971 4 591 8336 Sat - Thu 10:00 - 19:00
Pakistan Site +92 51 8738855 Mon - Sat 09:00 - 18:00
Sheikh Zayed Rd
+971 4 393 9029 Sat - Thu 10:00 - 19:00
+971 4 591 8336 Sat - Thu 10:00 - 19:00
Pakistan Site +92 51 8738855 Mon - Sat 09:00 - 18:00
Best Consultants

Labour Market Impact Assessment

What is a Labour Market Impact Assessment?

A Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) is a document that an employer in Canada may need to get before hiring a foreign worker.

A positive LMIA will show that there is a need for a foreign worker to fill the job. It will also show that no Canadian worker or permanent resident is available to do the job. A positive LMIA is sometimes called a confirmation letter.

If the employer needs an LMIA, they must apply for one.

Once an employer gets the LMIA, the worker can apply for a work permit.

To apply for a work permit, a worker needs

  • a job offer letter
  • a contract
  • a copy of the LMIA, and
  • the LMIA number


In most cases, your employer needs a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) to support your job offer for Express Entry. Some jobs do not need an LMIA.

Your employer doesn’t need an LMIA to support your job offer if:

  1. you have been working full-time for the employer on your work permit for at least 1 year (or an equal amount of part-time work)
  2. you have a valid job offerand
  3. you have a valid work permit that is exempt from an LMIA under:
    • an international agreement
    • a federal-provincial agreement
    • the “Canadian interests” category

Note: For skilled trade jobs, up to 2 employers can make a job offer. You must work for both those employers.

Jobs exempt from the LMIA

You may be exempt from needing an LMIA for Express Entry if your current temporary job is LMIA-exempt, states a specific employer or employers (for skilled trade jobs, up to two employers can make a job offer), and is:

  1.  Covered by an international agreement like CUSMA or GATS, and non-trade agreements. This can include professionals, traders and investors.
  2.  Covered by an agreement between Canada and a province or territory. This includes “significant investment” projects.
  3.  Exempt for “Canadian interests” reasons:
    1.  “Significant benefit” – if your employer can prove you will bring an important social, cultural, and/or economic benefit to Canada. This can include:
      1. general: Self-employed engineers, technical workers, creative and performing artists, etc.
      2. workers transferred within a company (intra-company transferees with specialized knowledge) – only those that will benefit Canada with their skills and experience
      3. workers under Mobilité francophone
    2. reciprocal employment – lets foreign workers get jobs in Canada when Canadians have similar opportunities in other countries
      1. general (such as professional coaches and athletes working for Canadian teams)
      2. International Experience Canada – a work abroad program for youth and young professionals
      3. people in exchange programs like professors and visiting lecturers
    3.  Designated by the Minister
      1. academics, including researchers, guest lecturers and visiting professors (sponsored through a recognized federal program)
      2. competitiveness and public policy
        • medical residents and fellows
        • post-doctoral fellows and people who have won academic awards from Canadian schools
    4.  Charity and religious work (not including volunteers)

These categories can be exempt only if you also meet the criteria in the first section of this page.

Note: jobs that are exempt from needing an LMIA still need a work permit.